Thursday, March 20, 2014

March 20, 2014

Went out the other day to purchase more crackers and egg product. I have to buy these items in bulk because I eat them almost every day. Since paying close attention to my NES I've discovered that eating comes easier if I don't have to think about it much. I don't mind tussling with the million dollar question, "What's for dinner?", that's about as much thought as I can give for food preparation. My son, he's pretty easy. He likes to start his day with waffles or another favored freezer food. Sometimes he'll branch out and ask for eggs. Frittata served with crustless quiche is one of his favorite outside-of-the-box breakfasts. When dinner time rolls around there are high expectations. That is when we are most creative with food intake. Dinner time is when I can introduce new foods to my son and get a significant amount of veggies in him. I can't tell you how many parents have told me over the years how they wish they could get their kids to eat the veggies my son eats. So far is likes brussel sprouts, red potatoes, carrots, greens, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, okra, mixed veggies, broccoli and asparagus. He will eat corn, but only appreciates it in a corn pudding. All of which were introduced during dinner. Dinner is the meal that is supposed to have several complex components. At least, that the way my son sees, so I take full advantage of his thought process. Otherwise it's the same old thing...which works for us.


We are coming up on our first anniversary. At risk of sounding sappy, I've just taken notice that I've been blogging consistently for almost one full month. March 25th will be our first month anniversary. I don't know if I'll be in the mindset to do anything particularly special that day. I hope so. I would love to show you all how much I appreciate you being here with me day after day. Reading my ramblings and sharing your comments. It means the world to me knowing I'm not alone. Thank you all so much for hanging in there with me so far. Hugs to you :-) Maybe you can help me think of something special or tell me what you may want to read about on that day. Perhaps you would like to share more about yourself that day. We have a couple days to think about it. Please share your thoughts.


I'm feeling a little better than yesterday. Not quite 100%. I think I am coming down with my son's cold, that's okay. As long as he's getting better I'll be alright. I'd love to make a pot of soup today, but my son hates soup. Soup represents sickness and he's not claiming to be that sick. Perhaps I will do a crustless pot pie kind of thing. We eat a lot of chicken. Maybe I'll cook a few fish.


A couple days ago I was really struggling with meal planning. I lucked up, because my son was not feeling well and didn't want too much to eat. He was happy with a simple chickenish dish or a sandwich. That's pretty much what I ate also. Last night he asked that I cook, so I did. We had a deconstructed chicken soup with turkey ham. I had all the components of a simple chicken and rice soup without the broth and I added chunks of turkey ham to make it a little different. He liked it. I enjoyed it as well. For the past couple days eating has been rudimentary at best. It was nice to enjoy eating a meal again.


Today around noon I had a pack of peanut butter crackers and water. I will try to eat lunch in the next hour or so. It will be eggs and cheese with toast and perhaps hot tea. Crustless chicken pot pie may be a little to much like what we've already had, so I'll continue sorting dinner out ad the day goes. Last night for my late snack I had the last serving of the deconstructed chicken soup with turkey ham. I enjoyed just as much the second time as I did the first. I did not crave to feed beyond my snack.











4 comments:

  1. Your so lucky..seriously...that your son likes your cooking!! My kids were ok most of the time, but when I tried to mix it up, I'd work so hard to make something special, and no reward, just grunts of disapproval from the kids and even Hubby, back then...Now, they LONG for 'Moms" home cooking! ha ha ha go figure! You know what I'd like to see on the blog? I don't know if you'd be interested in this, I wont mind if you think it's odd, (That's me, odd!) For your anniversary- I'd like to see a big passage about all the things that you like about yourself. I think it would be a way we could know you better. As an example, I do this sometimes - 'I hate the way my clothes look nowdays, but I have awesome hair." Or, 'I hate the way my body hurts all the time every day, but I like the fact that I don't take drugs, I live life on life's terms" "And in spite of it, I still get a heck of a lot accomplished every day". I would Love to know some little nuances about your life...Alyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyce!! That's a wonderful suggestion! I will work on it this weekend. Maybe that will help me try to see myself. This may turn out to be a wonderful exercise of self evaluation. I've never thought of myself in those terms. What a novel idea. Thank you...thank you!!!!

    My son did not always like my cooking. He was used to my moms cooking. I worked a lot when he was small and my parents used to take care of him. Mom would always cook and send dinner home with us. He did not get to eat my cooking until he was around 5-7 yo. He didn't like it then, but he seems to enjoy it now. Thank goodness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how that works..You know I do long for my Mothers 'Spanish Rice' It's just rice, tomato sauce, ground beef, onions and tabasco sauce..And every bit of my longing for memories of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds delicious. It's interesting how food can embody so much of our memories and emotions.

    ReplyDelete