Thursday, March 6, 2014

What Do You Eat For A Late Night Snack?

A lovely friend of mine asked a good question the other day. She's been reading my posts and noticed that I never mention what sorts of things I eat for my late night snack. Sorry, I had not thought to mention it, so here it goes.


It's important to make your snack a healthy one. The body responds better to healthy foods and they are less likely to trigger binging, well, that's the way it works for me. First things first. Try to consume a healthy amount of calories per day. I mentioned in an earlier post that the optimum time for be to begin eating is around 10am. I get the best results for daytime caloric intake if I stick to this general rule. Yes, sometimes I do fall off the trail, taking in lower calories, but that can be easily noted...tomorrows another day. Try to get those calories in.


Try to keep things in the house like fresh fruit, raw veggies, whole grain cereals, raisins, nuts, dried fruits, whole grain bread, luncheon meat, peanut butter and a nice preserve, jelly or marmalade. This makes for a pretty good variety of foods that you can mix and match any way you want. Try to avoid junk foods if you can. If you are craving crunchy foods try pretzels and peanut butter. You may even want to try celery or apples and peanut butter. It's healthy, you're getting good carbs, protein and fat which will help the carbs breakdown slower leaving you feeling more satisfied. Not to mention, the apples will satisfy your craving for sweets. One of my favorite sweet busters is a small bowl of shredded carrots and raisins. Yum! Great way to ward off sweet cravings.


The best way to beat binging is to eat small well balanced meals during the day. Meal planning is good. Keeping it simple is key. Don't get caught up charts, graphs, lists unless you need visuals to help you keep track. Make sure you have easily prepared foods available. Foods like eggs, cheese, brown rice, meats, veggies, wheat pasta, beans, things of that nature or whatever healthy alternatives you like. Some foods you can prepare and frozen ahead of time. For example, you can prepare spaghetti sauce and freeze it in individual servings. There are a variety of foods you can eat your sauce with. You don't have to always have pasta. Steamed broccoli is delicious with a hearty sauce and very filling. Another alternative for pasta and still have the feel is spaghetti squash or julienned zucchini (cooked). You are the master blaster of food choices. Choose wisely.


While you are meal planning, you may want to keep a food diary, nothing too rigid. A note pad in the kitchen will do. Jot down what you've eaten and if you feel cravings, even if they are healthy cravings. What I mean by healthy craving is when you find yourself wanting fresh veggie and other fresh produce, lean meats, whole grains; in other words you are not craving high calorie foods. Healthy cravings are a good thing. There are also many other wonderful alternatives for those who are vegan or on a GFCFSF (Gluten free, Casein free, Soy free) diet. I'll be posting a few recipes in coming posts.


Here's a little tip, during your next meal, try slowing down, smelling the food, chewing slow so you can taste the food and notice how the food makes you feel as you swallow it and feel it moving down into your stomach. Really be aware of every bite. Take time to enjoy the foods you prepare, it really adds to the eating experience.

I hope this post encourages you. Enjoy!!



3 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! You just reminded me of zucchini and spaghetti sauce!! I had forgotten about that, and I just love it! (I do that a lot, I forget about foods, I will add that to my list of foods I like!) I also forgot about the method of slowing down and enjoying the food!! I rush rush rush through everything I do!! And it is true, that if a food diary is kept, it's much easier to get proper nutrition...I never thought to jot down a craving and the circumstances surrounding it..great idea! Thanks, Alyce...(me in the two above as well!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget these things too. Just thought of it the other day. I had not eaten that way since I was a vegetarian. I'm definitely going to go back to eating some of my favorite vegetarian dishes.

    It's not easy slowing down and enjoying food. We have such busy lives and there are so many distractions, but I think it's worth making the effort to enjoy the foods that you prepare. To have a whole experience and not just mindlessly stuffing my face with food. I've done that way to long.

    I've had times when I really enjoy the whole experience of eating. It's during those times that I am less likely to binge.

    I'm so glad that you are having all of these wonderful memories and thoughts as you read my blog. And thank you so much for sharing your words of wisdom. You inspired me when you asked what I liked for my late night snack. LOL Keep the questions coming. It helps me to process my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy cooking if I have someone cooking with me in the kitchen, I used to hate cooking- maybe aging has helped with that, your blog is definitely bringing thought to the process of eating for me, which is good...since the opposite has not served me healthy! I have my granddaughter here for the week, so I will be thinking healthy, as I can do when she is here!...Alyce.

    ReplyDelete