Monday, July 7, 2014

July 7, 2014

Greetings everyone! I hope you all had a lovely break over the weeks end.

I've been thinking about you all quite a bit. I don't know your stories or even if many of you have experienced some sort of eating disorder or even addition. Whatever your story, I hope that you are well. I hope that I have been able to share something meaningful to you. And I totally understand if you don't wish to share your thoughts here. Having any kind of addiction or ED can be very difficult to talk about.

I've been talking to people around ED a lot lately, more so than ever before. I guess the main thing is my desire to encourage them to try healthier measures for dealing with pain. As I talk with other people, I find that my mind continues to explore all the facets of the roots to this long-term problem of mine. At first I found it a bit redundant to continue revisiting past questions, that is...until it started paying off. I've discovered there are many layers to how and why my ED developed. Layers that I did not recognize before, but make so much sense. Filling in the gaps, I believe is what I'd call it.

In earlier posts, I wrote about the beginning of the development of my NES desperately needing to be comforted by something that seemingly would not hurt me as I had fallen into a world filled with hurt and shame...a world without escape.

I discovered another thing about myself. I needed to feel some sense of control. I had not control over any aspect of my life including my own emotions, but I could control my eating during the day and relished the planning of eating at night. Does this sound familiar to any of you? In addition to the need to have some sort of control I also had a strong desire to be heard, to be recognized, to be seen as human. I wanted my parents to see me hurt myself. I wanted to show them see how much I hated what they wanted of me. I did everything to destroy the perfection they sought. Then too, maybe they'd feel sorry for me and feel something for me other than hate, but they didn't. How could they? What I was doing was fueling their fire. I made them hate me even more for my rebellion against their desires. Even still, I thought my parents would have some measure of sympathy for me if the pain were self inflicted. Instead they just let it happen. There was probably some measure of satisfaction watching me starve myself in the interest of loosing weight. No wonder their outrage when I stepped on a scale to find that I had gained weight instead.

I try not to dwell on my situation too much. I'm not trying to draw negativity or be depressed. What I hope for is to be able to see the bigger picture. I need to confront all of my demons. As I've said before and will continue to say...The recovery process required more than simply addressing the undesired behaviors it required digging deep and find the root cause for the behaviors. That is when the healing begins.

So I guess the question is... What have I done with my new found self discovery? Well, what I have done so far is to recognize that I need to find healthier ways to cope with my pain. Writing this blog is certainly one of them, but I believe that I need a few more healthy options. Also, this new discovery of self had lead to me assessing my relationships and why they exhaust me. I'm exhausted by my relationships because I was fulfilling a need to be heard on a level that I could manage. I'd even go so far as to say that I played a roll that was conducive to my need to be needed. And the biggest part of that fulfillment was to stand on my soap box and command my audience. How lame is that?

My need to be heard and my need to be needed was my new way of self soothing. All the while, I was still binging and starving, but my physical needs were no longer noticeable. It was my emotional need that took precedence. Perhaps that is why denial of the physical element of my ED came so easy.

I am proud to say that I am no longer the pompous blowhard and self proclaimed therapist that I was. My relationships are different. I will admit, I've lost some friends along the way, but it's okay. Those relationships were poison. For the few who stayed and the new arrivals, I try my best to be a much better friend. I strive to be a better listener, but not one who hones in on others problems, just to listen, simply for the sake of listening because we all have a right to be heard. I speak more, not to offer advice, but to share life experience and to encourage. I am working on not judging those who's opinions are different from mine. I seek healthy exchanged...give and take. Friendships should never be one-sided. I'd like to post more on the subject of friendships/relationship. Do you think that would be something you'd be interested in reading about?

There may be times that we find ourselves wanting to pull away from those we see as negative or at least contributors to our negativity only to find that we land in the lap of another who is equally or even more negative than the last. Perhaps it is not recognizable because it's a different kind of negative. Doesn't matter, a negative is a negative and it all feels the same.

My eating has been pretty good. I won't say that I've been very timely during my daytime eating, but I am eating healthy, whole meals in appropriate portions. I am back to eating a pre-measured night time snack each night. There are some nights that I really want to eat more and sometimes I do, but it's not out of control like it once was. I am completely aware of my actions. I am a work in progress, but I am making improvements.

Also, I continue to feel better about myself. I continue wanting to embrace myself and see myself with my own eyes which is working for me. I am able to stand up for myself better. I can voice when something makes me feel uncomfortable. I've noticed that a few of my longtime friends don't like the recent changes in me. These are the friends that are accustomed to feeding into my need to be needed as well as feeding their need to be heard. They're fighting to reclaim center stage and they may have it, just not with me. It feels good to be freed from another chain that binds. It feels real good...


6 comments:

  1. I myself have been doing a lot of inner searching for the roots of my own eating disorder/body image disorder. I realized that I had a lot of hate in me from long, long ago. Hate that was hidden by a desperate need to be seen as perfect. It is 'wrong' to hate..this causes extreme guilt and regret, hence the striving for perfection...as if being 'perfect' on the outside, and in all my activities as well- would buy me forgiveness. I had forgotten how I hated... Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I understand most of what your experience was. For me it was a need to be heard, a need for perfection, a need to be accepted, a need for some control, yet in all of this I did not see my own self hate or that I was doing all I could to destroy myself. It was as if I wanted to finish off what my parents started. Very creepy thing to discover of ones self. How are you doing on your path to healing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As more light is shed on the feelings that remained buried for most of my life, I feel like I am making some baby steps- I have to be careful not to think that I am 'there', you know what I mean? I realize I have far to go...I seriously wish I could hurry up the process, I'm not getting any younger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean... Being over zealous for this process is counter productive. I have a far way to go do, however, I make it a point to acknowledge each change as they occur and give thanks for the changes that accompany the healing. Baby steps is what it takes to achieve true healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is a blessing, those demons you had are a thing of the past. Keep taking those baby steps towards Christ and you will be healed totally. Visit: http://ZNSASDFoundation.blogspot.com tell me what you think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings ZNSASD Foundation. Thank you for your lovely words and thank you for sharing your blog. I found it most interesting. For those of us who live within the spectrum or within the autism cloud, it is common for us to know things that we would not commonly know or should not know by way of lack of exposure. I myself have always said that there is knowledge locked deep inside. There are those of us who are able to tap into this knowledge. I for one have experienced it several times. My son, also on the spectrum exhibits the same ability. I am glad to know that you son is able to verbalized his experience so well. I look forward to reading more of your blog.

      Thank you for joining me on this journey to wellness and freedom. :-) Many blessings to you.

      Delete