Tuesday, December 1, 2015

A Sweet Treat Without Defeat

I've been struggling with craving sweets since a few days before Thanksgiving and I've been good about not having sweets in the house. That is no sweets that I'd really want. So I applaud myself for not making all kinds of excuses to have sweets because it's the season. Question, what do you do when you just want a little something sweet? How do you know if or when you can give in to a craving and stop at one serving? Well, you don't know...at least I didn't.

Last night the cravings were unbearable, almost to the point of debilitating. I couldn't focus on anything. It was a miserable time. Against my better judgment, I printed a recipe for rice pudding and made it. It was a simple recipe for a small amount. I'm praying really hard to be able to eat a little and stop. I'm scared... Something has to give.

I'm not recommending that any of you doing this. This is my trial...my story. 

As the pudding bakes I notice that I'm feeling less agitated. Calm, but still on guard. The timer goes off. It' done. Now for the moment of truth. Will I or won't I. I placed the pudding on the counter to cool for a few minutes. As it cools I continue piddling, praying and hoping for the best. Either way, I need relief.

With plate and spoon in tow, I gently carve out the freshly backed morsels. It looks good...smells good. I serve myself a small portion of about 4 tablespoons. I eat. It tastes good. I wait, giving my body time to communicate with my mind. More importantly, time for my mind to realize that I am satisfied. I just hope my mind agrees with the rest of me. I continue to wait.

Time for a glass of water and to wash my dishes. I don't feel the craving for sweets anymore, but there is a small mental suggestion to get a little more. I take down a plastic container and a table spoon and begin preparing the dish for the fridge. All the while, there's still a small suggestion to get a little more.  I continue spooning the pudding into the plastic container until there was only 1 tablespoon left in the baking dish. Quick...get the lid on the container and put this pudding away. Don't waist any time and don't look back. Done.

The baking dish still sits on the counter with one spoon of pudding left behind. I'll eat that and my mind will have to be satisfied. Please...let my mind be satisfied.

As the evening went on, I got ready for bed. There's still the slightest desire to get a little more pudding. I think to myself. "No way! I'm done...no more food until tomorrow." Off to bed... Another good night under my belt. Well done.

Pleasant dreams. 

By the way, today I had a serving of rice pudding after dinner tonight. My son didn't like the pudding so that leaves one last serving for tomorrow. I'll have a quiet celebration then. In the meantime, moving forward. Onward and Upward!

2 comments:

  1. You asked how we do it when we crave sweets? Well, similarly- I prepare the desired food, but as soon as I make it, I figure out how many calories are in a serving, then I plastic wrap the servings and freeze the rest. I have been fine doing it this way for 8 months now. Interestingly, I decided on Easter to seriously try everything the doc told me would work to lose weight...I figured I could do anything for one year, as time really flies now that I am older. I like the comfort of having a limited amount of calories per day- the doc said to eat mostly super healthy foods, so I have been. I have continued to do my daily exercises, chart all my foods, and graph my weights- so scientific! And it works for me and I can see on the graph and chart if I don't see it in the mirror...but I certainly feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to do something similar, but I don't count calories. It's too much for me and sends me back into restriction mode. I'm going to make muffins this weekend and plan to leave out enough for that night and freeze the rest.

    I'm so very glad to hear what you are doing is working so well for you. I'm working to find that just right formula for myself. I don't think I'm that far away, but I am fearful of binging as well as fearful of becoming desperate to lose weight.

    I think I'm going to write a post on fear and desperation and how that can affect choices.

    So glad to have your wonderful responses again. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete