Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Snack Attack Is Back



Yep! I'm having some difficulty getting away from having a late night snack. I've been getting very anxious about this. I guess you can tell by my last post. I was looking into some sort of appetite suppressant. I didn't find anything suitable. I like the idea of having healthy snacks that can naturally suppress my appetite. As a matter of fact, I'm particularly interested in the idea of apples being one of those healthy snacks. Rice bran draws some interest as well. I'll have to check into it as I am fiber sensitive and I have to be careful. No need to add adverse affects to an already existing situation.

Natural appetite suppressants do offer some sense of relief, I guess. It's...well...I wanted to be able to stop late night snacking all together. I'm really having a lot of difficulty with this and I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle this hurdle. The main thing is not to freak out about it. Yeah, I was on the cusp of doing that also. I worked myself into borderline desperation. Glad it was short lived or else the potential for a host of other issues could easily develop if I didn't get a grip on the situation. I never gave thought to how easy it would be to develop other bad habits or dare I say obsessions if desperation gets thrown into the mix. Better be sure to steer clear of that. I don't need any additional problems.

I could look at this situation two ways. I could say that I'm expending almost all my energy trying to gnaw my way out of the binging chains that bind. Or I could have a more positive view and say, for me, not binging takes considerable effort and there has been great improvement. So what am I worrying about? Well, I worry about my inability to get past the desire to eat something almost every night. I also worry about the occasion when a snack could so easily lead to another snack and yet another...

I have had some really good nights where I didn't binge or snack on anything. And of course there have been those nights when I've planned a pre-measured snack and was quite successful with it. That's it! Maybe I should go back to having planned pre-measured snacks available for a while. It wasn't so stressful for me. As a matter of fact, soon as I got comfortable with having a pre-measured snack available I jumped right into trying to stop the snacks all together. Ever since I made that decision it's been nothing but stressful. Wow! I am so glad I wrote this post. I had not thought about my original reason for implementing pre-measured snack to begin with. Yeah, time for me to get off this hellish track and back to something more doable, until I'm stronger. I'm pushing myself to hard...to fast? And making too big of a deal out of it. After all, how long should it take to completely drop the habit of eating at night, a habit that I've spent  more than 4 decades developing?

Okay, I feel so much better. I was really worried about the snacking and how stressful it's been to not allow myself anything. It shouldn't come down to praying, crying and trying to rock myself to sleep every night to keep from eating. In all of this I didn't even think of the fact that I am losing weight. I just have to keep the snacks small, healthy and most of all planned. So far this has been my biggest defense against binging. Man...I've really worn myself out with this one. That's okay. Like I said in a previous post. Peaks and valleys are necessary. Instead of trying to avoid them...which I can't do...I face them and look for the lessons that they possess. There it is... I'm going back to taking baby steps again.

I'm free! I don't have to suffer the crying and carrying on tonight. I'm going to prepare a little snack and stick it in the fridge...just in case. This I can do.

Tomorrow I'm going to the store and I'm purchasing some apples. You know what they say...an apple a day...

Please Lord, let this be the answer I've been looking for.

Whew...what a relief. Once again, the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders. Thank you, Lord.

4 comments:

  1. Apples are awesome! I have to peel them though as I cannot chew the skin due to oddly formed crowns that were put in my mouth. Anyway, a chopped up apple mixed into a lemon yogurt and I am in paradise! At night, I have found that hot zero calorie lemonade works so well as an appetite suppressant, I actually look forward to it late at night. You sound happy and that is wonderful... Alyce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyce! Yes, I was quite happy after my little revelation. I'd completely forgotten how at peace I was when I allowed myself to have a planned late night snack. Trying not to eat anything and suffering through the cravings is horrible. I would not wish that on anyone.

      I did purchase some apples. Four Red Delicious. They are huge so I'm going to eat one half at a time with a little peanut butter. I will keep the skin on because it does make me have to chew much longer. I love the idea of apples and lemon yogurt. I am going to try that as soon as I get some. Thanks for sharing such a delicious idea. :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh you're welcome! And you reminded me about peanut butter to go on apples! That was a childhood favorite at school!

      Delete
  2. It was one of my favorites also. I have lots of peanut butter. I used to eat peanut butter and crackers as a favorite snack. Now that we are gluten free I don't buy crackers like I used to, so having the apples will be a delicious way to utilize my surplus of peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete