Monday, December 7, 2015

A Quick Note: I'm liking The Change

Hey! I just wanted to check-in after last night. I continue to feel a great since of relief. Everything went well. I put a pre-measured snack in the fridge and went on with my night. I even smiled the entire time I worked out.

I did get hungry and I ate my snack, but the great thing is I didn't feel the need to go back and get more. I don't know why it is, but my mind seems to be satisfied knowing there's a little treat available. Typically during late night hours my mind roams the kitchen cabinets and pantry looking for comforting foods to eat like chips, pasta or something sweet. My cravings for sweets can be specific at times, however my bodies need for sugar is relentless. What does that mean? My body cravings for sugar is not always specific to something sweet, rather my body is looking for empty carbs which quickly break down into sugars. It's a great help not having these types of foods readily available late night. I do cook pasta and rice dishes occasionally. When I do, I know not to cook anymore than what will be consumed for the meal or else it becomes a strong trigger later on that night.

I tell yah, last night was a real wake up call for me. I didn't realize how much the stress of avoiding food late night was affecting me in other ways. I've been consistently exercising for at least 30 minutes at the end of my day which is usually around 2-3AM. About a week ago I started toying with the idea of increasing exercise by adding an additional 15 minutes during the day. I wasn't able to implement it because I'd lost heart. I could not muster up the energy to eve attempt to increase my exercise because I was stressing so much about eating at night. I had gotten to the point of having to avoid walking through the kitchen at night or seeing food items on TV. I could hardly stand to see my son's goldfish snack that he loves so much. I was a mess. Every effort to do right was becoming a form of imprisonment. It wasn't good.

Are some of you wondering why I exercise so late at night? It's simple. In the course of learning to love myself and becoming more committed to self and the goal of getting healthier, exercise became somewhat of a treat. I would even go so far as to say a reward. I like to feel accomplished at the end of the day. Whether my day is a little lack luster or filled with satisfying accomplishments, exercise has become the cherry on top so to speak. It relaxes me and I feel even better about myself when I'm done. It's a win-win situation.

Increasing my exercise during the day is another step towards fulfilling one of my main goals which is to increase my metabolism. I believe increasing my exercise regimen will help me to increase metabolism especially since I'm trying to increase muscle mass. I use 2 lb. weights during cardio routine. I will increase reps and weights over time. I'm also elongating and sculpting as I go with palates. I have a piece of equipment called supreme palates that I use. It has resistance coils that work well for me. Slow and steady wins the race.

Initially I was under the false impression that I would have to be a certain size before beginning to sculpt my body. Another false notion my mind talked me into. It really doesn't make sense to wait, so I'm electing to start now. Scales aren't everything and they're definitely not the go to when documenting results. At least while I'm elongating muscle and sculpting my body I'll be able to reap some of the benefits of exercise quicker than by measuring loss of lbs. I'm a big girl and I'm already starting to see some definition, especially in my arms and shoulders. There's nothing like gaining a little inspiration when looking in the mirror.

The other night, when I was having my little rant about my friend losing weight quicker than I was, I neglected to think about the fact that I am increasing muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat, so when I get on a scale my weight loss will look less because fat loss and muscle gain will kind of even out...duh. So more props to me for having lost weight knowing that I'm gaining muscle. Hey, the more I talk the better I feel.

I lift my glass of water to toast myself on a good global effort. Keep up the good work!

Note to self: remember this is a global effort. Stay focused, continue eating healthy foods in healthy portions, slowly increase exercise routine and relax. Learn to enjoy life a little, especially now that you are doing so many wonderful things for yourself.

Onward and Upward!

8 comments:

  1. I so love to read this! Especially the part about exercise being a reward at the end of the day. I feel the same way and I even told my husband that, and he has to go to bed so I can have my exercise time by myself. Since April, I have only missed 4 days of exercise. I feel happy for you and I!... Alyce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful, Alyce! Our lives are still parallel to each other. Exercising at the end of the day is such a peaceful time. Do you meditate? It's kind of like meditative for me. The only reason I don't get into a deep meditation is because I lose count. Come to think of it, losing count may not be a bad thing even though I do like keeping up with increases in reps.

      Thank you for your words, Alyce. I was wondering if people would think I was falling back. And then I have to tell myself it doesn't matter what people think as long as I continue to move in the right direction.

      Hugs to you, my friend and welcome back!:-)

      Delete
    2. Oh it is nice to be back into the swing of things! And we do have so many things in common! :D You know, the type of exercising I do, is I lay on the living room floor in the dark with only the tv on...and I put a folded towel under my tail bone and use a firm neck pillow..then I do 900 leg lifts or 'air bicycle' rotations. I have to keep count, so perhaps that is a bit meditative! I just LOVE it, and I have lost inches in my waist and hips and thighs and I can walk now!! Yaayyy!!! What a thing to be able to walk again without horrible feet pain. This is why I began the exercise type I have been using, because of my feet pain. I suppose I will put some form of upper body exercise into the mix, but I will have to contact the doctor before I do, I have a super bad neck. And you are right, it is your life, and only you need to be answering to yourself, and give yourself a big hug Ok?? take care now!!...Alyce

      Delete
  2. I do a variety of exercises so I don't get board. There are some I do standing up and others I do sitting down. Occasionally I get on the floor and do exercise, but not that often. I incorporate 2lb weights in most of what I do and I try to focus on upper, middle and lower body. Upper body is my favorite and where I'm starting to see the most results. I see some changes in my lower body in the thigh and leg areas. I don't know how much more I've lost. I have not weighed since my last dr. visit.

    I did come across a scale I purchased years ago. Don't know if I'm going to start using it or not. I may blog about finding it and if I plan on using it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I could do upper body weight lifting! I know I'll have to get a spinal shot in order to do them though!!Akkkk..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your spine. The good thing is that your spine is not hindering you from doing other exercises. Are you working towards a particular goal or are you focusing more on healthier lifestyle?

      Delete
    2. I guess you'd say, just a healthier lifestyle!I was happy before, but not physically fit..I thought that I would give myself this 'one last chance' to try and get fit..so far so good!

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad you decided to give it one more try. It's very difficult to fail if one never gives up. That's what I tell myself, especially when I'm feeling low and less accomplished.

      Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing with me. It give me much hope and inspiration.

      Delete