Friday, February 28, 2014

February 28, 2014

It's 3:24pm. I finished eating about 10 minutes ago. I continue to make progress, even if it's baby steps. Better to move forward than backwards. It's a slow climb, but I don't think it will take too much longer. So far, the optimum time to begin eating is 10am. If I am able to eat a reasonable breakfast around that time my body will naturally cue itself for lunch, a snack and dinner. Of course I still have my premeasured snack set aside for night time. If I stay on track with my eating I'll begin feeling normal hunger sensations again. Right now I don't feel anything. I have mental cues telling me I should eat. These cues generally come much later in the day, usually around 1 or 2pm. The cues are easy to overlook. I have gotten up to get something to eat and forget to eat by the time I reach the kitchen. 


It's so easy to ignore the signs and fast forward into binging regularly. Too easy. It's been over 30 years since this disorder developed in me. In a couple years it will be a 40 year struggle. I guess that's more than enough time for something to become deeply ingrained. I don't understand what causes me to lose my ability to feel normal hunger and why the mental hunger so strong. It's always lurking. Waiting. In addition to my unhealthy relationship with food, I am still sorting out my past. My past is the beginning of this hell?


I want to paint a mental picture of the experience for you. And here is my disclaimer so you not think me insane. What I am about to describe is not an actual occurrence, but a metaphorical description of what my binge experience feels like.


I am sitting in the living room (usually) and it's late night. Unable to sleep, I mindlessly watch tv. There is an awakening of sorts. It's like an additional awareness comes into play. Now there's a feeling of hunger, but it's not a physical hunger, it's more mental or at least that is where the general location of the sensation is. My mind's eye (as I can best describe) begins to travel through the apartment, making it's way to the kitchen. It examines every inch of space as it moves towards the cabinets, drawers, pantry, fridge, freezer, every corner of the kitchen. Searching. I am still sitting on the couch. Anticipation builds as the search continues. Cravings begin. Thoughts of various foods and tastes emerge. I want something comforting, sweet, sticky, savory, maybe even warm and soothing ...I want to feed. When the mind's eye lands on something desirable, I get up to prepare the food, but it doesn't stop there. As I sit down to eat the food, the mind's eye revisits the kitchen looking for the next item to eat. If my mind's eye is not satisfied with what's available in the kitchen, it seeks other food sources, fast food restaurants, grocery stores even convenient stores. Whatever the case, I must move at its will. The hunger is insatiable. The binge takes on a life of its own. At it's worse, hours of binging will occur before satisfaction. It doesn't care how bad I feel about eating so much, as a matter of fact the binge uses my emotions to fuel it's desire. The cravings leave and the binge subsides. I am left gorged. My ribs expanded and hurting, I'm having difficulty breathing. I contemplate going to bed, but wait, there's one more thing. One more item to be eaten. Something sweet. Something quick. Just a little something to top everything off. And then I'll crawl into bed and go to sleep.


There are other times when I go through the evening purchasing and hording foods for my late night binge. I often feel an sense of excitement when hording different foods. When I get home I lay all of the foods out and fantasize about the order they will be eaten. Even though I've purchased foods throughout the evening, I will still cook a meal. Usually something like hamburger helper. I am pleased and feel a great sense of accomplishment now that I am prepared for the binge. I play with my son, give him his meds and put him to bed. And then the binge begins.


I speak of binging as a separate entity because that's how it feels. It's something outside of myself propelling myself into an action that I cannot control. It is for this reason that denial is so easy. In a way, it's like having an alter ego or another existence that you're only aware of on an as needed basis. Just enough to function for the cause. Otherwise, it is as if it never happened. By the next day, I'm starving myself again. I function completely oblivious to the binge I had the night before. I spend time with my son before going to work. My food and drink intake is at it's lowest. I may eat 1 potato chip or nibble a cookie for an hour or so before work. That is, if I have a sensation of hunger. My denial was so deep that I've even caught myself saying, "how can I be so big, I eat like a bird?" It makes sense. I only acknowledged the minuscule amount of food that I'd eat during the day and nothing else. I just didn't see it.


My most difficult time with binging was during my son's first year of life. The stress was extreme and my motherly duties endless as I had to give him medicines and care around the clock. He was so sick and frail. My will to give my son everything I had to give as a mom was the sole reason for my being able to function at all. The binge, well, that was my bonus for a job well done. It was my comfort. My mommy time that didn't mind the occasional interruption. My second life, far removed from the stressors of the day. It would always be waiting for me. I gained 100 lbs. that year and didn't realize it. I blamed the dryer for shrinking my clothes.


I imagine this will be a life long struggle, like alcoholism. There is no cure, only the count of days between binges. My gut tells me that the binging will get much better as I maneuver through my mottled past and make peace with the demons that dwell there.

5 comments:

  1. I have a sort of binge eating thing that happens, at night, late at night- I don't like to eat in the morning. I KNOW how to eat healthy- but healthy (salad, fish, fruit etc.) just leaves me feeling hungrier and bloated. I need, (at this phase of my life) P-Nut Butter and Jelly...Then I can go on with what I need to do. Sometimes, I eat and eat until I feel the 'distended-gut' feeling, then I am miserable, but my hunger is gone. I used to have anorexia Nervosa, for 30 some odd years...Now this. Some day, I hope to find the secret key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it most interesting that this there are many people who are afflicted with this disorder. It is especially hard when you are healing from one eating disorder and end up developing another. I do hope that someone will help us find they key to this problem. In the meantime taking it one day at a time and doing our best is key.

      I think the biggest problem about having an eating disorder is having to be hyper fixated on eating or not eating. There really needs to be a middle ground.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for reading this post. Please feel free to read other posts and they are written and those that are older. I do hope we will continue sharing and learning together.

      Delete
  2. You are so brave. It takes a huge amount of courage to look at oneself honestly, and even more to admit there's something off.
    I know those feelings of hunger, insatiable cravings, and endless denial. My own struggle has been different but still so similar to yours. When i was very little i was a very small child, and my mother's anxiety along with her history with poverty and hunger made her fear i was not healthy or eating enough. She's a very small woman and has a small frame, and my father is also not very tall and quite slim. How she expected me to be taller at 4 is something that made no sense to anyone but her. Against doctor's advice she got me some supplements to increase my appetite, and thus it began.
    I did not grow any taller or faster, i just ate a lot. Because for her feeding me meant loving me, she fed me. I ate and ate not always healthy, but tons of sugary foods; candy, cake, cookies, doughnuts, cereals... you name it, i ate it.
    One little thing snowballs and changes your life. I became an overweight child, obsessed with food. Then i was a tortured teenager scared of the world, trying to fit in, unaware of my asperger's, unaware of my gluten intolerance, eating my fears away. After that i was a young adult, being harassed, scared, alone, suicidal, and binging regularly. I am only 5'1 but at age 22 i was around 260 lb. I hated myself. I was numb. I didn't want to live.
    It has taken so long, such a succession of life events to get me to understand today all the little pieces of why i eat, when, and what for. Now at 38 i can struggle a little less and trust a little more that i am more than my weight; that my value does not reside on my shape; that i am worth more than the temporary satisfaction of a craving for a cookie that can not only make me heavier, but poison me; that i deserve to be alive and not place blame but understand the fears that were instilled in me but are not mine, forgive them and let them go. And forgive myself for what i didn't ask to be and also for what i allowed, and also let it go.
    You are right, the struggle doesn't end; more with food than any other type of disorder or addiction because one needs food to subsist, and must live with it every single day, several times a day for a lifetime.
    But it gets better. It gets less hard and less painful and less sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your experience is very similar to mine only on the opposite end of the spectrum. I was heavy from hoarding food and eating late night. I think my weight gain was subconscious because of the sexual abuse. My parent took me to the doctor who deemed me obese at the age of 10. It was just another thing for my parents to pick on me about. So I was deprived of many foods that they would eat in front of me. Needless to say, this experience along with other issues like oral fixations, eating of non-food items, overeating late night and abuse created the perfect cocktail for this eating disorder.

      Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. Please do join me on my journey to continue sharing, learning and hopefully finding answers.

      Delete