Tuesday, August 9, 2016

One Size Fits Most





One size fits most (OSFM). Have you ever seen these letters on a garment that you've purchased? I have. In the past it used to be One size fits all, but with the rise of clinical obesity and our growing girth the label was changed to "fit" a certain population. So where do you go when you don't fit the plus, plus, plus sized mold? I don't think I have a true answer for this question as I've only just realized that I once was one who did not "fit." I sit and stare at the words I just typed because it didn't dawn on me that there were few things/places/spaces that I could actually fit.

The other day I realized that I am more comfortable in the world. How I came to realize this was during an outing. There were folding chairs at an event my son and I attended. Folding chairs are something that I avoid for fear of embarrassment. I sat carefully sat on one as there were no other seating available. I was comfortable and I did not fear falling. Seating of any kind can be questionable for some of us. Even something as everyday as using public bathrooms. For years I levitated towards the handicap stalls because they were bigger. A couple days ago, I walked into a regular stall. It wasn't long before I realized it felt normal. That may not seem like anything to some, but for me, it was a revelation. I don't judge my progress by scales or by looks. I've been measuring my progress mainly by how I feel. Can I get around better? Do I have more energy? Do I get out of breath while shopping? That sort of thing. Sometimes I take not of how my clothes fit, but that could change with one moment of bloating and cramps. I never imagined I would see progress in the confines of a bathroom stall. That was a real wakeup call for me and a bitter sweet occasion as I am still larger than I want to be, yet smaller than I've been for the past 16 years.

It's safe to say that we do not live in a one size fits all world. It's really one size fits most and that largely depends on where you are. Well...I continue my journey and give thanks for every day I eat well and every night I don't binge.
Moving for life and fitting in...

Onward and Upward!



No comments:

Post a Comment