Monday, August 4, 2014

July 4, 2014 - Emotionally Abusive Relationships

Hi everyone! I found an article that I wanted to share with you. In my last post I started a conversation on friendship leading into possible further conversation about other types of relationships. This article is about abusive relationships. I believe it speaks mainly or spousal or romantic relationships, however, some of what I read could apply to any kind of relationship. If you have a moment, please take time to read this article. It is not a long article. There are 12 points that are briefly touched upon. If you find that any of these points are relevant in any of your relationships, you may want to assess those relationships for toxicity levels. Weigh the pros and cons of having that relationship. It is very difficult to begin or even maintain a path of health and wellness when involved in toxic and non-supportive relationships.

If you are currently receiving therapy or considering therapy, you may want to talk to your therapist about your current relationships if you have not already done so. Sometimes the lines of good/bad relationships are foggy, especially when you are caught up. It helps to have a non-bias outside point of view. It also helps to explore suggestions on how to build healthier relationships if that is something that you struggle with. I do. At the age of 48, I'm just learning how to identify the unhealthy portions of my relationships. So it's never too late to learn even if we think we should already know better.

Here's the article.
10 Signs You May Be in an Emotional Abusive Relationship
http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship?ap=825#slide=12

Happiness and Wellness to all of you :-)

2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty thorough list. I applied each question to my relationship with my Husband..one comes to my mind as questionable: It said if he scares you..well, there have been plenty of times his driving has scared me- he has been working on his aggressive driving since I've known him- He is a professional truck driver now, and as such cannot in any way drive crazy in the truck at work, so that has been very helpful. He just at times seems to feel as if the strangers on the freeway have it out for him personally, he has lost control over his mood while I've been in the car, which scares the heck out of me. I don't feel we are at a perfect solution for this issue, but it is better. The thing here, is that these kinds of things are so innocuous and vague, not a 'red flag' per se. What do people do in these circumstances? I fear I am slipping off topic somewhat- however, I guess my point is that sometimes something may actually be an abusive behavior, and we don't see it until we've been invested of 22 years of our life! Not too clear cut!...Alyce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting, Alyce. I had not thought of angry driving as an abusive behavior even though it would be quite scary. Now that I think of it, I do know of someone who is an aggressive driver. This person is also abusive in their language when they are not happy. Hmm, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. You've brought up an very good observation. Thank you, Alyce :-)

      Delete