Saturday, December 14, 2019

Health Update


 



Before I begin my update, I want to give a little back history about this blog to new readers. I decided to write a blog as part of documenting my journey towards healing from a tumultuous past and recovery from an eating disorder.  My formal diagnosis is Eating Disorder-NOS (nonspecific).  I’m not sure why I received such a generalized diagnosis.
At my worst, I was starving (restricting) during the day and binge eating by night. I’d often hoard food throughout the day and begin eating around 4pm. I would eat for several hours, consuming a series of small meals until my ribs hurt and I felt as though I would pop.  Sometimes I wouldn’t or couldn’t stop eating until the wee hours of the morning. Even still, I’d always have to top my binge off with something sweet in order to relax and drift off to sleep. Thankfully, I am no longer that person. That’s not to say that I don’t still struggle with occasional binging and restricting. I’m just saying, I’m thankful I’m no longer at my worst.

One of the things I promised myself when I began writing this blog was that I was not going to give numbers here, such as weight, calories, measurements, reps, etc. Numbers can be cumbersome, even triggering to some. I want this place to be a safe space where readers won’t have to deal with the weight of numbers or comparisons. I hope by sharing my experience, I can shed light, foster courage and promote hope.
That being said, I will continue with my report. My doctor’s appointment was a few weeks ago. Sorry, I’m just getting around to telling you about it. The visit went well. According to my doctor the corrections made to my diet with proper medication and the drop in my AIC was life-changing. He’s not going to change my treatment for now. I’ll see him in another couple of months. Hopefully, my AIC will have come down a bit more. I’m not far from normal levels. Needless to say, I walked away feeling really good and very thankful.

Thanksgiving also went well. I didn’t have an urge to binge during the festivities. We visited friends. I purchased some of our favorite foods and carried it with us, only because it’s too difficult to get into all of our dietary needs, we simply fend for ourselves. The coolest thing, we were unexpectantly able to eat a few items prepared by our friends, and they were able to enjoy a little of what we brought also. It was the best holiday experience we’ve had so far.
Now we’re having to face Christmas, which we don’t traditionally celebrate. What we enjoy is fellowshipping with loved ones, and getting a much-needed break from work and studies.  We also don’t actually know when Jesus’ birthday is. So instead, we celebrate the gift He is to us every day.

I am thankful for the gift of better health, and I look forward to continuing this journey.

Onward and Upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment